Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Avoiding cloudy rhinestones

What are cloudy rhinestones? (I got the term on Google):

First, here are normal rhinestones (bought from the dollar store):



And here are cloudy rhinestones:



Maybe not the best examples, but it's obvious cloudy rhinestones lost their initial shine.
That's because of the glue used (in that case E-6000 is the culprit).

---

Two solutions

1. Change the rhinestones
The video below shows that glass hot-fix rhinestones, even though used with E-6000 glue, will still stay clear once glued.


2. Change the glue
Use Beacon Gem-Tac glue to stick the rhinestones. Compared to the E-6000, Gem-Tac doesn't damage the gems' brilliance (even though they're from the dollar store.)
*However, the rhinestones take longer to adhere to their surface with Gem-Tac than with E-6000 (in my opinion).


Happy decodening

6 comments:

  1. I have been going crazy, the cloudy rhinestones have been ruining my projects. This is the first post I see that actually explains how to avoid this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this helped you, you're welcome. :) And I totally understand your frustration lol.

      Delete
  2. Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. rhinestones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I wanted to take a look at the website in your comment, but alas, the link doesn't seem to work on my side.

      Delete