Monday, March 18, 2019

Xianyu — Updated method to get the product URL

It's been more than a year since my post about buying on Xianyu for the first time. I had not bought a second time on Xianyu until yesterday evening. That wasn't planned. I had actually gone shopping earlier in the afternoon and had tried a cape-trench coat, that even though didn't fit me, made my figure look not that bad. So I went on Xianyu to buy a Bobon21 sort of trench coat I always liked but thought wouldn't look good on me (I have some hope now).

As I was making the purchase, and relying on what I had written in that blog post, I realized the section "Getting the product URL" is obsolete. In fact, yesterday, the method described wouldn't work, on Yoybuy at least. There seemed to be a bug when I pasted the link in the entry field and it wouldn't display the item*. I tried a couple other stuff for 15 minutes, got really frustrated with the website interface and finally gave up to head over to TaobaoRing (that is now 42agent). Then I came up with another method to instruct the buying agent to successfully purchase the item in the Xianyu app. It's more reliable, a bit longer, but definitely worth it IMO.

*The said bug is a no-brainer to solve. I don't know why I didn't think about it at the time. Please scroll down to "Edit August 29th 2021" for the fastest way to get the product URL.


Updated method
(can be used with any proxy I guess, but here I used TaobaoRing aka 42agent)

1. Go on the item's page on Xianyu. Click on the "three-dots icon". A menu will appear.
2. In the menu, click on the icon contoured in yellow:



3. This gives you the item's QR code. Take a screenshot of it or click on 保存在相册 ("save in photo album"):


4. Transfer your QR code picture to your computer (I need to do this because I can't upload a picture on Imgur—I'm guessing it's cuz I don't have the app nor an account. Personally, I just share the picture with my Google Drive to make the transfer which is fast enough for me.)

5. Once the QR code picture is on your computer, go to Imgur and upload the picture
(I just realized maybe Imgur would be banned from China, but it seems not!)
Copy the link Imgur gave you.

6. Go to the proxy's website (whichever one you chose). In the order form, paste the link from Imgur:
When the buying agent clicks on « LINK », it leads him/her here

Then confirm/submit your order, and that's it!

The coat I had ordered was successfully purchased some hours later (after receiving the OK to pay the first charge and paying it):

I was pretty satisfied with the smoothness of the transaction

Note: I will be posting the stuff I got on Xianyu in another blog post in the future.

Enjoy shopping.


Edit August 29th 2021

As 42agent adapted this post for their blog, they made me discover another way to lead a shopping agent to an item in Xianyu. I then realized it's the same method I once used and which I thought didn't work anymore (it does still work, actually). Thus I suggest following the three steps below instead of the six steps above.

1. On the item's page on Xianyu, click on the "three-dots icon". A menu will appear.
2. In the menu, click on the icon contoured in purple:


3. Then, just paste the link in the order form of the proxy you chose.


To clarify, here's what the copied link looks like:


The portion I highlighted in blue is the "working link" (I believe the buying agent is already aware of this). I have no clue what the leftover part is for.

Anyway, if you copy-paste the blue part of the link into your browser, you should be able to see your item on the Internet:


15 comments:

  1. You can still use the product’s link to order through a proxy. My favorite proxy service, Superbuy automatically detects Xianyu links and lets you place an order directly from their pages. This is my preferred method, but I might try the QR code method, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taydra, thanks for your comment. I have just checked it quickly out of curiosity and it's pretty cool that it recognizes Xianyu links. Having used only Yoybuy or 42agent in the past, I may try Superbuy next time I purchase from Xianyu. It seems much more simple to place an order this way.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for making these posts, they've been incredibly helpful. I made an order with Superbuy, and I can confirm that their system makes it very easy to buy from Xianyu. However, their currency exchange rate pretty bad and amounts to an additional 7.5% charge - total was 680 RMB, which was converted to 103 USD (DBS rate is closer to 96 USD).

    42agent's USD rate is just as terrible, but they accept wire transfers in RMB, whereas Superbuy does not accept international RMB transfers, so it's probably the better option if you're buying a good amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it's my pleasure and thank you for your comment. :) Also I appreciate that you took the time to share this info following your experience with Superbuy. Ouch, I wasn't aware of their currency exchange rate...

      Delete
  3. hello! i came across your post as i was searching on how to buy from xianyu ^^! it's really informative thank you so much! but may i ask what does 【出】mean in xianyu? i've been seeing it in a lot of listings and from my limited chinese abilities it means out TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm glad this post can be useful to you. :) The character means "out" in fact... I'm sorry, but I'd need more info (like a screen capture?) since I don't recall having seen this character in the listings I looked at. Can you still buy the item when it's written 出?

      Delete
  4. hello! i've been reading your past blog about xianyu and this one too, also those who commented under your post about xianyu. it's kinda confusing to me as im not sure which are the best agent to use to buy from xianyu. do you mind recommend me some of the best you've used? thank you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I am sorry in advance for my not-so-clear answer. Personally, as of right now, I would use 42agent if I had to buy on Xianyu. That is mainly because I've always had a good experience with them and am familiar with their platform and their process. (And also because I do not want to embark on a long-winded quest to find the best shopping service. :P) So despite choosing 42agent, it is totally plausible (if not certain) that there are better or cheaper shopping services out there. When I do a quick search on reddit, every user seems to have their favourite shopping service.

      So in a nutshell, I am confident that 42agent would provide you with excellent service (because they have always done so with me). But if you want the best and cheapest company, you can take a look at subreddits for some company names, check their website, compare commission, consolidation and international shipping fees, read reviews, etc. Good luck!

      Sophie

      Delete
  5. None of these methods work any longer because when you click on the three dot icon it prompts you to login and I have not been able to make it work do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, your comment made me realize this post is written for people who have a Xianyu account only (as I took the screenshots while I was logged in). Don't know if it is of any help, but you can login to Xianyu using your Taobao account (ID and password).

      Delete
    2. Hi, I tried to make a taobao account but got instantly frozen.
      How can I make one?

      Delete
    3. Hi, fortunately there are tutorials and guides for this. I recommend googling "how to make a Taobao account". I'm sure you'll find something among the results that'll help you. Good luck!

      Delete
    4. Hi Sophie! Thank you for making these informative posts! I know your methods would work if only I could get my Taobao and Xianyu 'connected'. I do have a Taobao account but whenever I try to get a url on Xianyu, it takes me to another page that requires me to login with my Taobao account. So i tap that and accept the terms, and I am then taken to another page that requires me to put in my phone number. After much tinkering, I managed to figure out how to change that first number from an '84' or some other 2 digit number that starts with an 8 to a '1' since I'm in the US. I'm assuming they need to send some kind of code for verification. At least that's what it looks like to me. But it appears that I'm one number shy after inputting my number. I would need an extra number for an option to have a code sent to me to be highlighted or functional. There's also the fact that I do not understand a word on the screen. I can't screencap because it does not allow that due to 'security' reasons. I actually had to use another phone to take a photo of the screen so I could then have those photos sent to me so I could use a translator. I already have an agent but I just need a way to get Xianyu links just like I'm able to with Taobao. This pop-up always comes up on me when I search for an item on the app and then I can only see 10 results before the pop-up page comes up. No more than 10 results are displayed so I have to go on a wild goose chase and hope I can find what I am looking for by trying to see the suggested listings that happen to be under the 10 items once I tap on each. I then need to screencap the item (because i cant get a link) and then open an inquiry with my agent to await their response so they can get me a functional link that I can then use to purchase the item through the agent's app. It's so time consuming and annoying and sometimes im looking for items that will sell out super quickly. It takes me much longer to find what I'm looking for and I know there is an easier way. Is there any tutorial out there for US Buyers? Or maybe you know the solution? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Of course I don't expect a response right away as I'm sure you are super busy! Thank you for taking the time to read my long inquiry! 😅

      Delete
    5. Hi Alma,

      Have you tried getting your Taobao and Xianyu linked by logging in to Xianyu with the email address + password you use on Taobao? When you arrive on the page that showcases the texts:

      亲,欢迎登录
      没有淘宝账户?立即注册

      [请输入手机号码/会员名/邮箱]

      Click on the text between the text brackets []; write the email address OR username you use on Taobao; accept the terms at the bottom of the screen; click to submit your info; enter the password you use on Taobao; click submit.

      Delete
  6. i have a taobao account set up, but whenever i try to link it, it asks for ID verification? i don’t have a chinese ID, only an american one, so would that work? or do i have to do something else? 😭

    ReplyDelete