Sunday, April 19, 2020

Little Sewing Projects

It's been a little over one month since I've posted here, yet I feel like it's been longer than that. Maybe this is because of the events happening worldwide and evolving at a fast pace, I'm not sure. But I just came back on Blogger now, and I immediately noticed the layout makeover of the Posts page. I'm not fond of it, especially the wide white space at the left of the posts, but maybe that will get fixed eventually?

Writing right now, I can see that this compose page has also changed. I like it. I think the info is less crammed and I like selecting my labels from a list. I'll have to get used to writing in such a large space (I feel like I was writing in half of this space before?) I'll need to get my bearings since some functionalities seem to have had their icons changed... and some new functionalities popped up (like inserting tables?!)
I just realized that you need to develop the three dots to get access to some further options like text alignment. Not a fan of this though it involves the same number of clicks. I took a quick peek at the HTML view and it seems easier to read. I'm wondering if there are other changes I haven't discovered yet.

I'm staying at my parents' house during the pandemic and count myself lucky to be able to work from home. I kind of missed writing here. I've caught a cold on March 21st that has kept hanging on ever since, but I've been getting better. It started as a typical cold, with a sore throat and a stuffed & runny nose. The sore throat didn't last long and my nose was the worst. Then towards the end of the week, just as I was starting to get better, my throat said otherwise. It was tightening every time I took a breath which made me cough and gave me slight trouble breathing. There were better days than others, but the pressure in my throat was persistent and I would sometimes feel exhausted for unknown reasons. I've improved now. I'm not on meds anymore, seldom cough and sneeze normally. I'm knocking on wood, but I believe that the "toughest" days are now behind. This was such a bad time to get hit by a cold. I questioned myself so many times whether I had COVID-19, although I didn't have a fever nor coughing spells (If you aren't part of the medical staff, you have to be hospitalized to get tested i.e. be really sick.) Now, I don't think I had coronavirus, but I would have appreciated a test response to give me that reassurance during those past weeks that I was sick and constantly thinking that the worst was yet to come.

I'm not sure what I would've written about if I would have had the energy to come here, so it's not like there's a lot to catch up on. I finished watching Caliphate yesterday with my mom and even though the plot isn't the type of story to pique my interest, I was surprised by how good it was. Apart from watching Netflix, I also sewed. After making a first dress with my mom, I found sewing to be truly enjoyable and not intimidating anymore. I bought myself a sewing machine because I want to continue sewing when I go back to Montreal, whether it is to alter clothes or make them from vintage patterns.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase, it has worked well so far.
(You can see in the back a dress my mom and I have been working on...!)

Our government hasn't made it mandatory to wear masks when going out, but I made some for my family in case they come in handy and after reading this article (in French) from Le Pharmachien. I might wear one on the subway or the bus when I go back to Montreal.


The masks have three folds and a microfiber cloth inside. I followed this video (in French) to make them. Even if you don't speak French, the instructions are very clear and the technique to make them is super simple.

Other patterns of the masks... the HK one is so cute.

I still have to cut the microfiber in small rectangles to place them inside the masks. I also need to finalize the elastics... we've been looking at every place for smaller elastics, but they're all gone, so I used elastics my mom already had. They aren't meant for this use, but they work just fine.

My mom had a small ironing board that she gave to me. Because the cover was old and a bit disgusting, we replaced it with a Hello Kitty pillowcase.

First, we removed the board's cover and foam. Little wood scraps kept falling off the board.

Then I painted both sides of the board in white.
This not only made the board cleaner but also kept the wood scraps from falling everywhere.

I pinned the old board cover to the pillowcase (altered beforehand).
The fabric was cut around, with a couple of inches left to fold the edges under the board.

My mom ironed the pillowcase to the shape of the old cover and stapled it in place to the board.
She also added another layer of foam.

We initially thought about using an elastic or a rope to fix the cover under the board (so it could be washable), but staples were way easier and faster. I'll iron pretty much only clean clothes or fabric on this and I don't think I'll change this board cover for a long time anyway.

Ta-da! 
I absolutely love it. And it makes a cute home decoration.

And finally, our menu on Easter:

Ham, mashed potatoes and yellow beans. I don't eat very balanced meals at my apartment,
so it's been great to get my daily dose of veggies since I'm at my parents' house.

No comments:

Post a Comment