Saturday, February 3, 2018

Anki (& spaced repetition) - Review #2

A little over one year ago, I've been trying to expand my vocabulary in Chinese through spaced repetition powered by a program called Anki. If you don't know what Anki is and would like to know why I started using it, please go to Anki (& spaced repetition) - Review #1, which is a review written back in 2017. Otherwise, just keep on reading -- if you want!

N.B — Since I've only practiced on AnkiDroid and used AnkiWeb to add the words, what I say in this review only concerns these two. I haven't used the computer version of Anki since my first review.

Since I've been using Anki, my use of the program and my learning have not always been constant. For the moment, I am trying to practice daily to avoid accumulating words, but until a couple of months ago, I often practiced at irregular times, spacing weeks between reviews. Nonetheless, I suppose I've had substantial experience in my little over than one year using Anki, which prompts me to write this second review.

Here are my main observations about spaced repetition and using the program:

Mostly memorization
I kind of expected it since it's called "spaced repetition", but still want to point out that it's been mainly "learning by heart" with Anki. Not that I personally have an issue with it; I just often see memorization being demonized as a learning method, but it becomes inevitable at one point to resort to memorization when learning Chinese.
Plus it always depends on how you build your flashcards; it doesn't have to be the mere memorization of words only; for simple words such as "balloon", I usually only put the word in Chinese characters (front), and then the word's pinyin and its meaning (back). But for verbs, adverbs, adjectives (i.e. more complex words), I usually accompany the meaning with useful examples (sentences) in which the word can be used. This definitely takes more time making and reviewing the card, but I do believe it's worth it.
For example:

(sentences credit goes to either Pleco or LINE)

Note about my learning method: I'm aware that only plastering the Chinese word and then guessing its meaning in English does not provide the most holistic learning experience. While I know I should also guess the Chinese word from its English word, I prefer not to since I much prefer reading than speaking (and have in fact done much more reading than speaking). I'm also gradually trying to write more often in Chinese using the words I'm learning, which can palliate for my "one-sided" study.

Anki does not motivate you to practice more
-- at least for me (but I have a tendency to procrastinate)

In my first review of Anki, I say:

« ... has spaced repetition (using Anki) been effective so far? Yes. I really do remember words better, because I practice them every day or every other day, especially since I'm not apprehending and avoiding my study session anymore. »

I'm not sure why I wrote that, particularly that last line, but that's complete rubbish.

You need fricking discipline (or be incredibly motivated) to practice the most often you can (I guess every day would be the ideal) and keep it constant. Well, at least I do. In fact, no one's here to force you pressing the app icon to practice. I've often (and clearly still will in the future) put off studying to another day, and then another, to finally accumulate an alarming amount of words... then I'd keep avoiding Anki, thinking about all the words I'd have to catch up on for not using the app for so long.

However, what thrilled me was that when I'd finally decide to practice after a long hiatus, I'd realized I could still remember most of the words and their sentences. And after a day or two, I could master them again, as if not using the app for a while had not had significant consequences on my progress. I don't know if that's the spaced repetition effect, but that's some quality memorization here (!)

In sum: it does work!
I'm not trying to fool anyone with that cliché subheader, but I've truly been able to generate learning from studying with Anki. In addition to learning new words, I can (finally!) retain them better, as though they've set for good into my long-term memory. There are many words for which weeks and even months pass before I see them again. Still, I remember their meaning and the phrases in which they are used. I have definitely noticed an improvement in terms of characters recognization and comprehension when reading Chinese, and I've even managed to throw in some words during WeChat convos.

Far from claiming that spaced repetition is the panacea for memorizing and/or cramming, I can guarantee it is a much more effective learning method than having to review multiple vocabulary sheets (at least for me in my situation). Not only my former method was highly unmotivating, but I was never even able to keep up with it. I actually wish I had known about Anki five years ago, which would have allowed me to progress and perform better in my Chinese courses.

Finally, there are these really (I'd say elaborated) stats and graphs giving you an overall portrait of your study, but to be honest, I'm not enough of a geek to totally understand and make use of them..


Reflections on my first review

In my first review on Anki, I talked about a few things that bugged me or left me unsure. I decided to mention them here and comment/reply to them as an attempt to clarify things up.

Max of words I can practice each day
My max was set to 20 and oddly, I could only practice the same 20 words even though I had like 60 words in my deck. I had re-set the number to 100 in the deck settings (and then reduced it to 50 later haha), which I had believed would improve the situation.
It's strange and I can't provide a clear explanation, but the problem seems to have resolved by itself... I mean, I've looked through my deck that now contains hundreds of words, and I can say I've reviewed each one of them at one point.

Implying that I can't learn on AnkiWeb or AnkiDroid while offline
I was complaining I couldn't study offline except when using the computer version, but it's as well perfectly feasible to practice on AnkiDroid and be offline. I... don't know why I originally said that... 🙈

The computer version of Anki doesn't synchronize with AnkiDroid or AnkiWeb
I made quite a fuss about this since I initially really enjoyed the computer version of Anki and how it allowed me to customize and manage my cards apparently "better". Well, I eventually quickly got used to utilizing AnkiWeb and AnkiDroid. Both AnkiWeb and AnkiDroid can synchronize, which is really practical. I usually add new words on the Web version, and then practice on my phone.
And you can still manage your cards and customize them in AnkiWeb and AnkiDroid (see pictures below), although I don't know enough about the three versions' features to confidently tell you what you can and cannot do depending on which version you use. But considering that I no longer use the computer version, this problem has pretty much fallen into oblivion.

Adding a new flashcard on AnkiWeb..... Adding a new flashcard on AnkiDroid
Quite rudimentary, but does all it needs to do (+ sorry for that horrendous disproportionated arrangement.)

No comments:

Post a Comment