Friday, November 27, 2015

Chinglish and Chinçais

Since I've been learning Chinese, I've come across a couple of Chinese words that sound phonetically almost the same as English, and thought it was pretty cool, but never really dwelled on them (although all remembered them cuz they're easy to).

The more I came across words as such, the more I got interested. There were also more "complex" expressions such as 'Good morning' or 'I love you', which is quite funny. Although I do know Japanese, Korean, and other languages also use the English phonetic for some of their words, I still find Chinglish (and Chinçais) really cute.

Here are some words like such, most of them are in English but there are also some in French. I will try to update this list whenever I learn new ones. Some of the words have been told to me by Chinese, so thanks to them. Other that that, I found these words randomly whether by tv shows, reading, listening to music, or the teacher told us. And there are words I learned from yourmandarin on Instagram. I love how they explain each word within their context and provide a lot of examples.
Also, I haven't included the countries/proper nouns since they sound similar pretty much everywhere.

* February 12nd 2017 *: lmao I just learned these are called loanwords. I called them Chinglish all that time (even though I knew it wasn't exactly Chinglish but I didn't have any other words to describe it.) Also there are already lists of loanwoards in Chinese on the internet lawl.
I created a google spreadsheet, where the nouns are on the first sheet and the expressions on the second sheet.

ACCESS TO THE GOOGLE SHEET : HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment